Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.
Back to Blog
Complete the following sentences. (ISEE Upper Level.)
1. We seldom fell __________ when we are allowed to speak freely, but any ___________ of our free speech brings anger.
A) angry .. defense
B) blessed .. restriction
C) scholarly .. understanding
D) enslaved .. misuse
2. Since movies have become more _________, many people believe television to be ____________.
A) helpful .. utilitarian
B) expensive .. necessary
C) common .. inadequate
D) costly .. useless
3. Because of his ________ nature, he often acts purely on impulse.
1. The correct answer is (D).
Freedom of speech is something we take for granted, so we do not feel BLESSED when allowed to exercise this freedom; however, we do become angry when any RESTRICTION (limit) is imposed on our right to speak freely.
2. The correct answer is (B).
Movies and television are both media of entertainment. The sentence is comparing the two. From the answers, we can deduce that they are comparing the costs. Of course, television is not useless, so choice (D) is out. That leaves only B. Movies are becoming more and more expensive and therefore out of reach for many, so people feel TV is necessary since it is already there and you can watch movies on TV.
3. The correct answer is (C).
One who acts purely on implulse is mots likely to have a PASSIONATE (emotional or intense) nature.