The GMAT is a tricky test, so make sure you can solve the easy problems. Test yourself with the following problems.
1. The value of an investment triples every 10 years. By what factor does the value increase over a 30-year period?
2. A chemist is making a 50% alcohol solution. How many milliliters of distilled water must the chemist add to 600 milliliters of an 80% alcohol solution to obtain a 50% solution?
3. An investor receives interest on two simple interest investments, one at 3%, annually, and the other at 2%, annually. The two investments together earn $900 annually. The amount invested at 3% is $20,000. How much money is invested at 2%?
4. If the diameter of a circle is 14, then the area of the circle is
Instructions: The following questions present a sentence, part of which or all of which is underlines. Beneath the sentence you will find five ways of phrasing the underlined part. Choose the best answer.
1. In 1980, lack of preparation reduced Costa Rica's coffee production to about 30 million tons, nearly 20 percent less than those of the 1979 harvest.
(A) less than those of the 1979 harvest.
(B) less than the 1979 harvest.
(C) less than 1979.
(D) fewer than 1979.
(E) fewer than that of India's 1979 harvest.
2. Veronica needs to buy a new dress, resole her dancing shoes, and the visit to the doctor needs to be rescheduled.
(A) and the visit to the doctor needs to be rescheduled.
(B) and visiting the doctor needs to be rescheduled for later in the day.
(C) and reschedule her visit to the doctor.
(D) and doctor's visiting needs to be rescheduled.
(E) and visit the doctor.
3. After I called all of your friends, you was surprised when they showed up for the party.
(A) you was surprised
(B) you were surprise
(C) you was surprising
(D) you were surprised
(E) surprised was your feeling
4. Nancy, like many nurses, work long hours.
(A) work long hours.
(B) work long hour.
(C) works long hours.
(D) work for long hours.
(E) work for longer hours.
5. The audience, already amazed by the special effects, gasp when the curtain rose on the second act's new set.
(A) gasp when the curtain rose
(B) gasped when the curtain rose
(C) gasp when the curtain roses
(D) gasp upon seeing the curtain rise
(E) gasps when the curtain rose
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.