Free image from Pixabay
The Verbal Reasoning section features Sentence Equivalence questions on the GRE. In each sentence, one word will be missing, and you must identify two correct words to complete the sentence. The correct answer choices, when used in the sentence, will result in the same meaning for both sentences. This question type tests your ability to figure out how a sentence should be completed by using the meaning of the entire sentence.
In the questions below, select the two answer choices that, when inserted into the sentence, fit the meaning of the sentence as a whole and yield complete sentences that are similar in meaning.
1. Her last-minute vacation was _______________________ compared to her usual trips, which are planned down to the last detail.
2. After staying up all night, she felt extremely _____________________; however, she still an three miles with her friends.
3. Although the lab assistant openly apologized for allowing the samples to spoil, her _________________ did not appease the research head, and she was let go.
4. He was unable to move his arm after the stroke; in addition, the stroke ____________________ his ability to speak.
5. The firefighter, desperate to save the children on the second floor of the fiery house, rushed into their bedroom; his colleagues, more wary of the ____________________ structure, remained outside.
1. B, E
The phase "compared to her usual trips" is a clue that the first half of the sentence will have an opposite meaning to the second half; that is, her "last-minute" vacation was apparently not planned in detail.
You can use this phrase to make a prediction such as: "her last minute vacation was unplanned compared to her usual trips, which are planned down to the last detail."
Something that is unplanned is done without much preparation or careful thought. Both choice (B) and choice (E) match this prediction.
For answers below, try to reason them on your own. If you are not sure, do not hesitate to contact us!
2. B, D
3. B, D
4. C, E
5. B, E
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.